SubjectRe: writepage return value check in vmscan.c
chrisl@vmware.com wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 11:44:14AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > chrisl@vmware.com wrote:
> > >
> > > bigmm -i 3 -t 2 -c 1024
> >
> > That's a nice little box killer you have there.
>
> Thanks. It kills on all our customer's kernel, they don't use the
> bleeding edge kernel at all. It is interesting to see vmware
> serve as some heavy load stress test tool. It will give some real
> world load to the OS, e.g. the load need to boot a windows etc. You
> can stack many of them to abuse the OS.

I tested Andrea's latest kernel. It survived.

Probably because it left 100 megabytes of lowmem unallocated
throughout the test.

> > With mem=4G, running bigmm -i 5 -t 2 -c 1024:
> >
> > 2.4.19: Ran for a few minutes, got slower and slower and
> > eventually stopped. kupdate had taken 30 seconds CPU and
> > all CPUs were spinning in shrink_cache(). Had to reset.
> >
> > 2.4.20-pre8-ac1: Ran for a minute, froze up for a couple of
> > minutes then recovered and remained comfortable.
>
> How many instance of bigmm left there? It should be 10 bigmm
> processes before oom kickin.

Well, they should all be left running? All this memory has
file-backing, and is easily reclaimable.

umm, yes. There could be bogus oom-killings in the combined-LRU
VMs. But I saw none in testing.

All of which is great fun, but it leaves open the question "what
the heck can vmware do about it". I wish there was a clear answer.

If the customer is running a suse/UL kernel they're presumably OK.

If their kernel comes from kernel.org they should add Andrea's patch.
Which means they get an absolute boatload of stuff which they may
not want:
but that kernel performs well.

If they're running an RH-rmap kernel then they're probably okayish,
although I'd recommend more testing there.

If they're running an RHAS-style kernel then I do not know. It may
fail.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.056 / U:1.100 seconds]