SubjectRe: feature request - why not make netif_rx() a pointer?
From
On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 09:39:12AM -0400, Slavcho Nikolov wrote:
> Unfortunately, I cannot assume that every L2 (or maybe I can, we'll see) is
> ethernet and I definitely cannot know in advance that every L3 is IP.
> Nor can the assumption be made that netfilter has been built into the
> kernel.

So, you thing assuming a modified netif_rx is different than
assuming netfilter support ?
Your idea is just too dangerous.

> If I define my own private protocol handler (to catch all), I see cloned
> skb's
> which is not what I want. I tried that and dropped each one of them in the
> handler, yet traffic continued to flow unimpeded (so I must have dropped
> clones).

For this to work, you need to modify the driver. The driver
generates a private packet type or protocol, and you will be the only
to to catch it.

> As for GPL, I hope that commercial enterprises be allowed to utilize
> business models
> which do not necessarily consist in providing services around free software.
> The more replaceable hooks you provide to filesystems and network stacks,
> the better.

You can still use *BSD, Windows, VxWorks or else, which are
very capable OSes. Nobody forces you to use Linux.

> S.N.

Jean

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.130 / U:0.024 seconds]