SubjectRe: Son of crunch time: the list v1.2.
Rob Landley wrote:

> On Monday 21 October 2002 21:02, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Rob Landley wrote:
> > > 1) Roman Zippel's new kernel configuration system.
> > > Announce: http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6898.html
> > > Code: http://www.xs4all.nl/~zippel/lc/
> >
> > I support merge, Linus seemed to support it with the caveat that he said
> > he didn't personally see much discussion...
>
> After CML2, I think everybody's too afraid to speak up. :)
>
> > > 2) Ted Tso's new ext2/ext3 code with extended attributes and access
> > > control lists.
> > > Announce: http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6787.html
> > > Code: bk://extfs.bkbits.net/extfs-2.5-update
> > > http://thunk.org/tytso/linux/extfs-2.5
> >
> > No comment other than I notice tytso's patches got dropped (at least
> > once/twice?). Maybe viro hasn't reviewed them?
>
> Reading meaning into Linus dropping patches without explanation is like
> reading meaning into sheep entrails. (At least with the entrails, you know
> the future is likely to contain mutton.)
>
> > > 5) VM large page support (Many people) (in -mm tree)
> > > http://lse.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Rob - this URL doesn't seen to have anything directly to do with large
> > page support.
>
> I got the URL straight from Guillaume's list. Haven't looked at it. I don't
> use Oracle, and the largest box I have immediate access to has maybe 2
> gigabytes of memory in it. (256 megs is pretty standard 'round here...)
>
> > > 6) Page table sharing (Daniel Phillips, Dave McCracken) (in -mm tree)
> > > http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=7855063&list=35
> > > (A newer version of which seems to be at:)
> > > http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6446.html
> >
> > IMO 2.7.x item...
>
> Yes and no. Rmap went in already, and this mostly counteracts rmap's main
> downside. Still, it is cutting it a bit close...
>
> > > 7) Dynamic Probes (dprobes team)
> > > http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux/projects/dpro
> > >bes
> >
> > why does this need to be the mainline kernel? this is another type of
> > thing that can live as a patch, IMO...
>
> Ask IBM. :)
>
> > > 8) Zerocopy NFS (Hirokazu Takahashi)
> > > http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0204.1/0429.html
> >
> > this is already merged, isn't it??
>
> Another item straight from Guillaume's list...
>
> > > 9) High resolution timers (George Anzinger, etc.)
> > > http://high-res-timers.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > no comment, I've heard arguments that high-res timers would be useful,
> > but haven't read the patch myself so won't comment...
>
> I vaguely remember Linus had some objections that it plays with the clock tick
> and potentially penalizes everybody... Hmmm...
>
> A quick google comes up with this:
>
> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2002-28/0360.html

Hm, I had not seen this. He is right, but the patch
provides an out :) The standard says a timer can overrun.
If a timer is repeating so fast as to bogdown the system,
the code lumps enough of them to unload the system into the
overrun count and doesn't take the interrupts.
-g

> > > 10) EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System) (EVMS team)
> > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/evms
> >
> > Sounds like 2.7.x material, viro pointed out several problems ...
>
> This one's a problem. LVM1 is dead, so either LVM2 or EVMS are needed to
> avoid a major functional regression vs 2.4...
>
> > > 11) Linux Kernel Crash Dumps (Matt Robinson, LKCD team)
> > > Announce: http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/7060.html
> > > Code: http://lkcd.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > I would personally _love_ to see this merged, but I think it's 2.7.x
> > material given the recent comments (unless they get fixed up)
>
> T minus 6 days, and counting... :)
>
> > > 12) Rewrite of the console layer (James Simmons)
> > > http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > needs more review... but hasn't some of this stuff already made it in?
> > (or am I thinking about fbdev...?)
>
> This and the page table sharing are probably the two that mean the most to me
> personally, actually. Not that this is relevant... :)
>
> > > 13) Kexec, luanch ELF format linux kernel from Linux (Eric W. Biederman)
> > > http://lists.insecure.org/lists/linux-kernel/2002/Oct/6584.html
> >
> > Useful, but at the same time not many people will use this I think. It
> > may need to live as a patch for a while, if not for a long while...
>
> I have an odd usage that would be helped by having the linux kernel and a
> ramdisk in the same image, but that's a question of getting support into lilo
> or grub, not the linux kernel itself. There's probably already a way to do
> it (actually, I'm sure I could if I wanted to hack lilo), it just hasn't made
> it far enough up my to-do list yet...
>
> > > 14) USAGI IPv6.
> > >
> > > Yoshifuji Hideyaki points out that ipv6 is very important overseas
> > > (where some entire countries make do with a single class B ipv4
> > >
> > > address range). He says:
> >
> > The USAGI guys have been slowly splitting up their patches and
> > submitting them... AFAIK DaveM is just waiting on more split-up IPv6
> > patches from them...
>
> Okay, ARE the Usagi IPV6 patches and Dave's work dovetailing into one project?
> I'll happily collate them if so, I'd just like to hear it from one of the
> principal authors...
>
> Rob
> -

George Anzinger george@mvista.com