SubjectRe: Son of crunch time: the list v1.2.
Date
Jeff Garzik wrote:

>>>Sounds like 2.7.x material, viro pointed out several problems ...
>>

>> This one's a problem. LVM1 is dead, so either LVM2 or EVMS are needed to
>> avoid a major functional regression vs 2.4...
>
> A political regression only... if EVMS is not good enough for inclusion
> in mainline, vendors can merge it and/or LVM2 to avoid problems. _We_
> have higher standards for quality :) If no LVM is ready for 2.6.x, we
> have no LVM. It's that simple... If no one has stepped up to clean up
> LVM1, and LVM2 and EVMS are not ready for inclusion, there's not much we
> can do about it. That's _not_ a reason to merge crap...

As was stated by Dave Jones[1], this is something that will probably should
go in after the freeze. I'm afraid that having seperate patches is just
unacceptable. There are many of us out there who use LVM, and I don't
think it is appropriate to release a kernel without it. Obviously you
haven't been paying attention because Joe Thornber has been actively honing
the device mapper interface over the last couple of weeks. AFAICT, he has
addressed all of the issues which were discussed in the critique of his
code. Alan's had it in his tree for awhile now, which shows that it is at
least partially suitable. When it's ready to go in, I'm sure it'll meet
your standards. As for EVMS, I'd consider that a whole different beast.
Can you mount LVM partitions with using EVMS tools? We should probably
keep the two seperate if this is not the case.

Cheers,
Nicholas

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103520598902877&w=2

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.101 / U:0.352 seconds]