SubjectRe: Listmaster request: Blacklist
>> = Adam Richter
> = Christoph Hellwig

>> If I have searched marc.theaimslist.com correctly, Stallman has made
>> four of the 74 posts in the "Bitkeeper outrage{,m}, old and new"
>> thread, and they've been been pretty short and concise.

>Sorry, Adam - if it was just that one thread I couldn;t care less, but
>please check your inboxes for posts from Richard to lkml that actually
>were technical instead of forcing his questionable ideas of "freedom"
>to the linux devlopers.

On marc.theaimslist.com, the last posting before the four that
I find by searching for "Richard Stallman" in the author search back
on June 9th.

If we were to apply as stringent a standard of germainness,
many other people would fail it long before Richard Stallman. Even in
the very thread with which you request this filtering, you saw fit to
post a response soley to participate in joking with someone about
Richard Stallman running for office.

By the way, I chanced on a purely technical lkml article from
Richard on September 5, 2000, about suspending notebook computers at
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=96819134426068&w=2, so
even if we were to accept your standard of "on topic", your
statement that Richard has "so far posted only offtopic to this list,
and that's what pisses me off" would still apparently be incorrect.

I think the standard for filtering that you advocate at this
point is too one-sided and arbitrary. It will do more to undermine
than to support the various reasons that people develop Linux.

Side note:

>> In the real world, censorship generally does not come about by
>> some plot that the Dr. Doom and his evil henchmen developed in their
>> headquarters embedded into the side of a volcano. It comes about by
>> people well intentioned people making bad trade-offs.

>I explained it a few times, but people still don't want to get it.
>This is fsckin' not about censorship but about banning people who
>aren't capable by themselves to find the appropinquate forum. No one
>tries to hinder him posting his opinion to gnu-ethics, linuxtoday (*)
>or slashdot. I just think such a request is the last thing we can do
>about people ignoring the technical list spirit again and again.

At the risk of being off topic, especially by your standards,
you are proving my point. In the real world, censorship takes hold
for reasons that are "not about censorship", for reasons as noble as
you think yours are, by people as nice and well intentioned as you
might be. It is also usually incremental (e.g., you can advocate a
change in the politburo's policies in theoretical academic journals
about public policy, but broadcasting such things on the news is
disruptive to the country and not within the purpose of a proper news
program). When people implement censorship, they often claim that
what they're doing isn't censorship, that it's the last thing they can
do about people ignoring the forum's spirit again and again, etc.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / Milpitas, California 95035
"Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.087 / U:0.016 seconds]