    SubjectRe: Any hope of fixing shutdown power off for SMP?
    On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, J.A. Magallon wrote:

    > On 2002.10.21 Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > >I'm kind of out of time to play any more, I think I'm going to leave
    > >2.5.43 where it is (lots of stuff not working), send the patches to -mm3
    > >and think about 2.5.44. That should be less volatile since Linus is out.
    > >
    > >I can't get apm to even load, it whines in depmod about missing stuff, and
    > >I've got about two days of my so-called vacation in what I do hve working,
    > >so a good time to call it a version.
    > >
    > >Thanks for the pointer, I'll try -aa and -ac kernels again at .44.
    > >

    > Oops, you talk about 2.5...
    > My pointers were about 2.4. Anyways, perhaps it is the same problem. Both
    > trees did not shutdown properly because shutdown waited inifinitely for
    > the apm task to schedule on cpu 0 due to bad interaction with O1
    > scheduler.

    I got a patch for that which *almost* works. The disks spin down, but the
    console is still there. But when I hit the power button I don't have to
    hold it, the system goes down like a rock, so it's doing more than it did.

    In uni mode it goes all the way down, and I'm not sure the patch is quite
    right, I just haven't had time to fight with it. Every once in a while I
    have to do some work to keep the lights on.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc