    SubjectRe: your mail
    Date
    > On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 17:09, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Look at history - if such a mess got in, it would never get sorted.
    >
    > Instead of throwing around vague statements with little
    > context like "compost heap" and "such a mess", why don't
    > you spell out the specific design points of EVMS that you
    > disagree with. The advantages and disadvantages of
    > each point can then be discussed.

    Yeah, but he is right in any case - look how the IDE mess of 2.5.x, which, frankly, I don't believe was ever as bad as people seem to be saying it was, has put people off testing 2.5.x. Instead they are waiting for Linus to type

    mv linux-2.5.x linux-2.6.0

    at which point they think that all remaining bugs will auto-magically correct themselves and the tree is one again safe to use. WRONG answer!

    Simply from the point of view of not wanting to 'scare off' people from a whole tree, (which is so rediculous, I think I'll go and patent it), and as a result get less testing, we're better off trying to stop weirdness from getting in.

    John.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.045 / U:180.180 seconds]