    SubjectRe: Bitkeeper outrage, old and new
    Date
          Please note that linux-kernel is a highly technical list, it's
    not a list to discuss software development ethics.

    A technical issue or project sometimes raises ethical issues. When
    that happens, discussing the ethical issues is an essential part of
    the technical discussion. A discussion which ignores the ethical
    aspect of the issue is severely incomplete.

    That does not happen often. Most of the decisions in a technical
    project are purely technical, and whatever is technically best is
    really best. After many such issues, it is easy to start thinking
    that raising ethical issues in a technical issue is improper, that
    there is some virtue in keeping technical decisions away from ethics.
    That is a the worst mistake an engineer can make.

    Freedom includes
    for me that I can use any software that I have legally licensed (or
    written myself) without people complaining about it publically.

    You are asking for the power to silence criticism. That is not
    freedom, that is a power.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.038 / U:0.052 seconds]