SubjectRe: [BUG] 2.5.42+ reboot kills Dell Latitude keyboard
Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman writes:
> > Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@csd.uu.se> writes:
> >
> > > Dell Latitude CPi laptop. Boot 2.5.42 or .43, then reboot.
> > > Shortly after the screen is blanked and the BIOS starts, it
> > > prints a "keyboard error" message and requests an F1 or F2
> > > response (continue or go into SETUP). Never happened with any
> > > other kernel on that machine.
> > >
> > > Apparently the 2.5.42+ "let's shut everything down at reboot"
> > > change
> >
> > There was no such change just a discussion of what the kernel
> > has been doing since 2.5.8 or so.
> >
> > > put the keyboard controller in a state which is inconsistent
> > > with the BIOS' expections at a warm boot.
> >
> > There is a bug in device_suspend. device_shutdown, and device_suspend
> > where merged and the POWER_DOWN case now removes the drivers which
> > is a bug. You may be getting hit with that.
> >
> > Eric Blade has posed a patch fixing that.
>
> I tried Eric Blade's patch
> <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103477012517984&w=2>
> but it didn't make any difference. Same keyboard error as before.
>
> So either the patch doesn't change what actions are taken on reboot,

Correctly only what actions are taken before reboot, are changed.

> or the keyboard (std SERIO_I8042 + ATKBD PC stuff) driver was also
> broken in the 2.5.41->2.5.42 step.

There is something in the ChangeLog about fixing the keyboard reboot
case. I don't see where the code changes in the patch but the
keyboard code was touched quite a bit.

So I suspect the keyboard driver also does the wrong thing for
you in this case.

Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.056 / U:0.348 seconds]