SubjectRe: [lart] /bin/ps output
From
   From: Richard Henderson <rth@twiddle.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:15:01 -0700

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 11:53:29PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> In fact, thinking about this some more, we should make the ".per_cpu"
> bits emit a table entry instead of some dummy object which takes up
> space. The table entry would be in the special .per_cpu
> section still but be just a size value.
That's more complicated.

Hmm, we put arbitrary tables of information into seperate elf sections
already. Consider the exception fixup mechanism for example. That's
the kind of thing I was thinking about.

Oh I see, you're saying that then getting at the things symbolically
will be painful. Yes it needs more thought.

If you want to omit the per-cpu area from the kernel image, then
arrange for it to be .bss.

Good idea, well on SMP it can be marked throw-away (ie. __init_data).

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans