SubjectRe: Patch: linux-2.5.42/kernel/sys.c - warm reboot should not suspend device
Eric Blade wrote:
>On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 15:24, Adam J. Richter wrote:
>> [...] I think the new behavior in IDE
>> of spinning down the hard drives on suspend is correct. The problem
>> is that the warm reboot system call is trying to suspend all of the
>> devices before a warm reboot for no reason. [...]

>Adam,
> I'm not sure the proper thing to do is necessarily remove the
>device_shutdown() call.

If, by this, you are saying that you have in mind some reason
why this should not be done, then please explain.

> Please try this patch [...]

Your patch does not apply and I don't see how renaming
a constant in essentially every place that it is referenced would
change the behavior of the code in a way releveant to the problem
that I described.

I don't see a problem with device_shutdown spinning down the
IDE hard disks. What I have a problem with, and what my patch fixes,
is the relatively new behavior of the warm reboot system call calling
device_shutdown. Why was this added? The reboot notifier chain is
already called for devices that need some preparation before it is
safe to reboot or halt.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 575 Oroville Road
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / Milpitas, California 95035
"Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:30    [W:0.033 / U:0.568 seconds]