SubjectRe: The reason to call it 3.0 is the desktop (was Re: [OT] 2.6 not 3.0 - (NUMA))
Rob Landley wrote:

>The new uncharted territory for Linux, and the next major order-of-magnitude
>jump in the installed base, is the desktop. A kernel that could make a
>credible stab at the desktop would certainly be 3.0 material. And the work
>that matters for the desktop is LATENCY work. Not SMP, not throughput, not
>more memory. Latency. O(1), deadline I/O scheduler, rmap, preempt, shorter
>clock ticks,

I must confess to thinking that namespace work is the most strategic
upcoming battle between Linux and Windows, but probably I am biased in
this regard.;-) MS seems to think it also, given the rumors that OFS is
where they are shifting their focus away from the browser and over to
for Longhorn....

Hans

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.215 / U:0.116 seconds]