    SubjectRe: qsbench, interesting results
    Date
    On Monday 30 September 2002 07:57, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > I'll take a look at some preferential throttling later on. But
    > I must say that I'm not hugely worried about performance regression
    > under wild swapstorms. The correct fix is to go buy some more
    > RAM, and the kernel should not be trying to cater for underprovisioned
    > machines if that affects the usual case.

    The operative phrase here is "if that affects the usual case". Actually,
    the quicksort bench is not that bad a model of a usual case, i.e., a
    working set 50% bigger than RAM. The page replacement algorithm ought to
    do something sane with it, and swap performance ought to be decent in
    general, since desktop users typically have less than 1/2 GB. With media
    apps, bloated desktops and all, it doesn't go as far as it used to.

    My impression is that page replacement just hasn't gotten a lot of
    attention recently, and there is nothing wrong with that. It's tuning,
    not a feature.

    The sort failure is something to worry about though - that's clearly a
    bug.

    --
    Daniel