    SubjectNew set of code snapshots for ext3-dxdir (kernel and userspace)

    On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 07:46:57PM -0700, Ryan Cumming wrote:
    > On September 29, 2002 01:16, Ryan Cumming wrote:
    > > Case 1:
    > > "Problem in HTREE directory inode 2 (/): bad block 3223649"

    This turned out to actually be an e2fsprogs bug, not a kernel bug.
    E2fsck was getting confused in some cases and interpreting a completely
    empty directory block as a HTREE interior node, and thus incorrectly
    flagging a valid HTREE directory as being corrupt. Your test case tends
    to generate the empty directory blocks because it does a large amounts
    of creates and deletes.

    Anyway, let's try to synchronize on a common set of kernel patches and
    userspace utilities, and see whether or not we've managed to get all of
    the problems fixed.

    For the kernel patches, I've created a patches against 2.4.19 and 2.5.39
    that include the Andreas' kernel stack usage patch and Chrisl' empty
    directory entry split patch, which can be found here:

    http://thunk.org/tytso/linux/ext3-dxdir/patch-ext3-dxdir-2.4.19-3
    http://thunk.org/tytso/linux/ext3-dxdir/patch-ext3-dxdir-2.5.39

    In addition, I've released new e2fsprogs test release, which you can
    obtain from sourceforge:

    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.30-WIP-0930.tar.gz

    With these code base, and using a freshly created filesystem, I haven't
    been able to reproduce any problems using Ryan's fs-ream.c stress
    tester. So I'm pretty confident about its stability, although there
    might possibly be some race conditions lurking about under extreme load.

    Ryan, you care to give it a go, and see what you can find?

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:29    [W:0.021 / U:1.048 seconds]