    SubjectRe: initramfs programs (was [RFC] klibc requirements)
    On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 01:38:56AM +0100, Andreas Ferber wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:25:07PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
    > > >
    > > > This could be done anyway: just replace the initramfs image built by
    > > > the kernel build with anotherone built from another source tree. It
    > > > would be helpful though if the tools were distributed both standalone
    > > > and included into the kernel tree.
    > > If the kernel is going to build an initramfs option, it also needs a way
    > > to be given one. The issue I'm thinking of is I know of a few platforms
    > > where the initramfs archive will have to be part of the 'zImage' file
    > > (much like they do for ramdisks now).
    >
    > Append it to the zImage and let the kernel look for it there. Plus add
    > a tool to util-linux (or maybe an option to rdev?) to let you replace
    > the embedded initramfs in a {,b}zImage with a customized one.

    Er, 'rdev' is an x86-only program, so lets not add common functionality
    to that. And I'd rather not throw something onto the end of the
    'zImage' since I just got done removing annoying/broken things like
    that. Mind you I don't think x86 will take advantage (or have reason
    to, really) embedded the initramfs image into the bzImage/zImage, unless
    we're going to let them run w/o a bootloader still.

    --
    Tom Rini (TR1265)
    http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/