    SubjectRe: initramfs programs (was [RFC] klibc requirements)
    On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 04:56:58PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

    > > That's the way it works for network daemons etc. for years.
    > This sounds like good advice. The autoconfigurator is part of CML2,
    > which I expect to be distributed with the kernel. Does that change
    > your advice at all?

    Yes, a little bit. Make dmidecode (or whatever you also need for
    preparation steps that have to be done as root) a separate package,
    which has to be installed before "make autoconfig" works, and write
    that down in Documentation/Changes.

    This gives you several benefits:

    - you don't depend on the version of the /running/ kernel for "make
    autoconfig" to work (/dev/kmem is available for a /long/ time now).
    - you can install and run dmidecode on one machine, copy the retrieved
    data to another machine and autoconfigure/build the kernel there.

    Distributions can install the package by default, to make it work for
    your grandmother as well, if that's what you want.

    Andreas
    --
    Andreas Ferber - dev/consulting GmbH - Bielefeld, FRG