SubjectRe: initramfs programs (was [RFC] klibc requirements)
At 21:40 09/01/2002, Greg KH wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 09:34:34PM +0000, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > Partition discovery is currently done within the kernel itself. The code
> > will effectively 'just' move out into user space. As such it is not
> present
> > in /sbin now but it will be in initramfs. The same is true for various
> > other code I can imagine moving out of kernel mode into initramfs...
>For this code, I can see it staying in the kernel source tree, and being
>built as part of the kernel build process, right?

I would think that is a good idea but I am not sure that is what is planned
/ will happen. Keeping it outside would have the advantage that a newer
partition recognizer (or whatever other code) can be applied to any
existing kernel version (that supports initramfs).

"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at> (replace at with @)
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW:
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: