SubjectRe: initramfs programs (was [RFC] klibc requirements)
At 21:15 09/01/2002, Alex Bligh - linux-kernel wrote:
>>>Here's what I want to have in my initramfs:
>>> - /sbin/hotplug
>>> - /sbin/modprobe
>>> - modules.dep (needed for modprobe, but is a text file)
>>>What does everyone else need/want there?
>>It is planned to move partition discovery to userspace which would then
>>instruct the kernel of the positions of various partitions.
>>The program(s) to do this will need to be in pretty much everyones
>What with mounting root via NFS, hence having to set up
>IP et al, mounting various different
>partition types, avoiding the kludge of fsck etc.,
>being able to recover from a corrupted root, you
>might as well just cpio up your /sbin and stick
>that in, and be able to run single user mode without
>a 'normal' root. <FX: ducks & runs>
>seriously point: ls /sbin gives a /maximum/ range I'd
>have thought.

Partition discovery is currently done within the kernel itself. The code
will effectively 'just' move out into user space. As such it is not present
in /sbin now but it will be in initramfs. The same is true for various
other code I can imagine moving out of kernel mode into initramfs...

Best regards,

"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at> (replace at with @)
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW:
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: