    SubjectRe: initramfs programs (was [RFC] klibc requirements)
    "Eric S. Raymond" <> writes:

    > greg k-h:
    > >What does everyone else need/want there?
    > dmidecode, so the init script can dump a DMI report in a known
    > location such as /var/run/dmi.
    > I want this for autoconfiguration purposes. If I can have it, I
    > won't need /proc/dmi.

    Why can't this happen inside the regular startup scripts? They know
    where to put such files; the kernel-level stuff doesn't--I can't think
    of any current situation where the kernel writes to an arbitrary file
    in the filesystem as it boots. Sure, /var/run is in the FHS, but that
    doesn't mean every system will have it.

    IMHO, since /var/run/dmi is not needed by any stage of the kernel
    boot, it should be created in the regular startup scripts (invoked by

    --T. J. Jackson, 1863

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.021 / U:16.128 seconds]