    SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
    On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 18:32, Ken Brownfield wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 12:02:48AM +0100, Luigi Genoni wrote:
    > | Probably sometimes they are not making a good business. In the reality
    > | preempt is good in many scenarios, as I said, and I agree that for
    > | desktops, and dedicated servers where just one application runs, and
    > | probably the CPU is idle the most of the time, indeed users have a speed
    > | feeling. Please consider that on eavilly loaded servers, with 40 and more
    > | users, some are running gcc, others g77, others g++ compilations, someone
    > | runs pine or mutt or kmail, and netscape, and mozilla, and emacs (someone
    > | form xterm kde or gnome), and and
    > | and... You can have also 4/8 CPU butthey are not infinite ;) (but I talk
    > | mainly thinking of dualAthlon systems).
    > | there is a lot of memory and disk I/O.
    > | This is not a strange scenary on the interactive servers used at SNS.
    > | Here preempt has a too high price
    >
    > MacOS 9 is the OS for you.
    >
    > Essentially what the low-latency patches are is cooperative
    > multitasking. Which has less overhead in some cases than preemptive as
    > long as everyone is equally nice and calls WaitNextEvent() within the
    > right inner loops. In the absence of preemptive, Andrew's patch is the
    > next best thing. But Bad Things happen without preemptive. Just try
    > using Mac OS 9. ;)
    >
    > Preemptive gives better interactivity under load, which is the whole
    > point of multitasking (think about it). If you don't want the overhead
    > (which also exists without preemptive) run #processes == #processors.
    >
    > Whether or not preemptive is applied, having a large number of processes
    > active is a performance hit from context switches, cache thrashing, etc.
    > Preemptive punishes (and rewards) everyone equally, thus better latency.
    >
    > I'm really surprised that people are still actually arguing _against_
    > preemptive multitasking in this day and age. This is a no-brainer in
    > the long run, where current corner cases aren't holding us back.

    Amen.

    Of course, the counter argument is that we, as kernel programmers, can
    design everything to behave kindly cooperatively. I reply "now that the
    kernel is SMP safe it is trivial to become preemptible" but some still
    don't take the patch. I'll keep trucking along.

    Robert Love

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.027 / U:0.376 seconds]