    SubjectRe: swapping,any updates ?? Just wasted money on mem upgrade performance still suck :-(
    On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > knobs. It just won't happen. Fixing VM behavior is the only way. It has to
    > > work satisfactorily _without_ tuning.
    >
    > Thats something you will never achieve. Virtual memory is about heuristics,
    > crystal ball gazing and guesswork. There are always some workloads where you
    > want little caching and some where you want lots of caching - such as a
    > fileserver.
    >
    > You can make it right for most people but the last few percent you
    > will always get by tuning knobs - either directly or via GUI tools like
    > powertweak

    Thank you, Alan!! Now if the *other* kernel developers would just buy
    into this. :)

    --
    M. Edward "Give me tuning knobs or give me death" Borasky

    znmeb@borasky-research.net
    http://www.borasky-research.net "The Few! The Proud! The Tweakers!"

    The American people are tired of being told what the American people
    are tired of.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.023 / U:32.308 seconds]