SubjectRe: swapping,any updates ?? Just wasted money on mem upgrade performance still suck :-(
On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > knobs. It just won't happen. Fixing VM behavior is the only way. It has to
> > work satisfactorily _without_ tuning.
> Thats something you will never achieve. Virtual memory is about heuristics,
> crystal ball gazing and guesswork. There are always some workloads where you
> want little caching and some where you want lots of caching - such as a
> fileserver.
> You can make it right for most people but the last few percent you
> will always get by tuning knobs - either directly or via GUI tools like
> powertweak

Thank you, Alan!! Now if the *other* kernel developers would just buy
into this. :)

M. Edward "Give me tuning knobs or give me death" Borasky "The Few! The Proud! The Tweakers!"

The American people are tired of being told what the American people
are tired of.