    SubjectRE: 1gb RAM + 1gb SWAP + make -j bzImage = OOM
    Date
    I've rerun this test a number of times, and cannot reliably reproduce
    the OOM - though it still does OOM occasionally. It never OOM's right
    after a bootup - usually the greatest chance of OOM is after 2 or 3
    consecutive runs without a reboot. Once it even froze the box and
    required a powercycle.

    I'm surprised you cannot OOM with 1gb RAM/256MB swap, as sometimes I'm
    over 900MB in swap - did you try consecutive runs, or just once and then
    reboot between each run?

    On a side note, there seems to be some debate as to whether this is a
    valid test. The detractors primarily claim that 'make -j' just
    overloads the machine with too many processes and therefore is setting
    it up to fail. My position has always been that the kernel
    _should_not_OOM_ under this test due to the ~2gb of ~RAM being thrown at
    it. It may die for any number of other reasons, but OOM shouldn't be
    one of them. In other words, either the OOM killer may be too
    aggressive here, or the kernel isn't reclaiming inactive RAM under heavy
    load.

    Haven't yet tried Martin's patch - though since I can't reliably produce
    the OOM, testing it wouldn't help much.

    -Phil Oester