    SubjectRe: PATCH 2.5.2.9: ext2 unbork fs.h (part 1/7)
    Daniel Phillips wrote:
    > The two main problems I see with this are:
    >
    > - If a filesystem doesn't want to use genericp_ip/sbp then fs.h has
    > to know about it. Why should fs.h know about every filesystem in
    > the world?

    We keep type information through this method. There is no ugly casting.

    > - You are dreferencing a pointer, and have two allocations for every
    > inode instead of one.

    <blink> re-read.... With patch6/7 there is only one allocation.

    > Moving the ext2 headers from include/linux to fs/ext2 is an interesting
    > feature of your patch, though it isn't essential to the idea you're
    > presenting. But is there a good reason why ext2_fs_i.h and ext2_fs_sb.h
    > should remain separate from ext2_fs.h? It looks like gratuitous
    > modularity to me.

    I agree this is a better end goal; my patches simply did not take things
    that far.

    > Minor nit:
    >
    > if (!inode->u.ext2_ip)
    > BUG();
    >
    > You don't have to do this, if the pointer is null you will get a perfectly
    > fine oops.

    BUG oops are a little bit more perfectly fine :), since they print out
    filename and line number when CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE is enabled..

    Jeff

    --
    Jeff Garzik | Alternate titles for LOTR:
    Building 1024 | Fast Times at Uruk-Hai