    SubjectRe: Hardware Inventory [was: Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?]
    Patrick Mochel wrote:

    > "What do you mean, 'don't use proc'?" (Since I already had done it).
    >
    > He pointed out that it was old and crufty, and already over-abused. He
    > suggested that I write my own fs to do it.
    >
    > So I did. It was easy. I blatantly ripped off ramfs, and it worked.

    One little problem I have with driverfs (and with the whole "everything
    is a filesystem" idea) is that the infrastructure just isn't ready for
    it yet.

    For example, driverfs_create_dir(). That has no driverfs-specific
    content at all. It's 100% mucking with VFS internals.

    The more cut-n-paste-filesystems we create, the harder it all gets
    to maintain. We need a library layer which simplifies and abstracts
    these operations. (Says me, looking at you-know-who :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.024 / U:0.484 seconds]