    SubjectRe: Hardware Inventory [was: Re: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?]

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Greg KH wrote:

    > On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 07:11:03PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
    > > On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Patrick Mochel wrote:
    > >
    > > > One of the ideas that I've kicked around with some people here and the
    > > > ACPI guys is the notion of trigger device enumeration from userspace
    > > > completely.
    > > >
    > > > During the initramfs stage, a program (say devmgr) figures out what type
    > > > of system you have, where the PCI buses are, etc. It tells the kernel this
    > > > information, which then probes for existence, then loads drivers.
    > >
    > > Sounds remarkably like the work that Greg has been doing with hotplug
    > > support.
    > Yup :)
    > But I wanted to rely on the existing PCI and USB core code to do the
    > probing of the busses and devices, as it knows how to do this the best
    > right now. Whenever it finds a new device it calls out to /sbin/hotplug
    > with the device info. The userspace program at that location then loads
    > the proper driver for the device, if it knows about it. This is the
    > same code and process that runs when the kernel is up and running today.
    > No code duplication is a good thing :)
    > And the /sbin/hotplug program knows about _all_ devices that the
    > currently compiled kernel can handle due to the MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE tags
    > in the drivers.
    > See the linux-hotplug project's documentation for more info on this:
    > A paper and presentation about the linux-hotplug process:
    > dietHotplug, a _very_ tiny implementation of /sbin/hotplug which is was
    > created exactly for the initramfs stage:

    It's very closely related; kinda like kissing cousins.

    /sbin/hotplug is called from the kernel only, right?

    I see no reason to change that at all for notification of devices that are
    plugged in/removed by suprise.

    I was thinking, though, more along the lines of triggering the probe for
    devices that the kernel has a tough time finding on its own. E.g. peer
    Host/PCI bridges, batteries, etc.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.024 / U:0.728 seconds]