SubjectRe: "APIC error on CPUx" - what does this mean?
On  7 Jan 02 at 13:33, Alan Cox wrote:
> > whether IRQ7 happens directly when we send confirmation to 8259,
> > or whether it happens due to some noise on IRQ line.
> >
> > AFAIK it happens only on VIA based boards, and only if (AMD) CPU is using
> > APIC.
>
> Are you using an AMD northbridge and VIA southbridge together ?

No. It is fully-VIA motherboard (Asus A7V), VIA KT133 as a northbridge
and VIA686A as a southbridge, with 1GHz Athlon. And spurious IRQ happen
when either of (massive) IRQ sources (Promise UDMA, tulip-based network
card, an es137x soundcard) emits interrupts.

Problem is best visible when Promise is used in PIO mode with block size=512,
as in such case you can get thousands of IRQs from Promise in second, and
tenths of spurious IRQ7. But even if Promise emits in average one IRQ each
second (== idle system with running cron and atime updates on), I get
~10 of spurious IRQ7 during one hour.

I can get complete lspci -vvv at home, if you want.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:9.129 / U:0.088 seconds]