    SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

    > On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
    >

    >>I don't like special test-programs. They seldom show up the reality.
    >>What we need is a kernel that behaves fine in reality - not in
    >>testcases. And before starting the test, take care, that most of ram
    >>is already used for cache or buffers or applications.
    >>

    > OK, here's some pseduo-code for a real-world test case. I haven't had a
    > chance to code it up, but I'm guessing I know what it's going to do. I'd
    > *love* to be proved wrong :).

    I would like to try it with the oom-patch, which needed less swap in my
    tests. It could be a good test to verify the results of the rsync-test.

    > # build and boot a kernel with "Magic SysRq" turned on
    > # echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
    > # fire up "nice --19 top" as "root"
    > # read "MemTotal" from /proc/meminfo
    >
    > # now start the next two jobs concurrently
    >
    > # write a disk file with "MemTotal" data or more in it
    >
    > # perform a 2D in-place FFT of total size at least "MemTotal/2" but less
    > # than "MemTotal"
    >
    > Watch the "top" window like a hawk. "Cached" will grow because of the
    > disk write and "free" will drop because the page cache is growing and
    > the 2D FFT is using *its* memory.

    Could you please tell me a programm, that does 2D FFT? I would like to
    do this test, too!

    Regards,
    Andreas Hartmann

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.042 / U:32.680 seconds]