    SubjectRFC: The Big Patch List (was: Linux Kernel-2.4.18-nj1)
    On Sat, 05 Jan 2002, willy tarreau wrote:

    > Perhaps people who have a solid personal tree would
    > like to continue this discussion off-list and find
    > an arrangement about a single test tree. Concerning
    > stable trees, I think that both Marcello's and
    > Andrea's are rock solid. Othe people may want to use
    > their distributor's.

    What *I* personally would greatly appreciate: the Big List of Kernel
    Patches. It would list a patch, what it does, what version of the kernel
    it is against, where it can be found, and maybe where other versions can
    be found or conflicts.

    This list could e. g. look like (cast into any form you like, an
    extensible one is a good idea); I've just picked a random patch that I
    use, without any recommendation:

    PATCH: Pre-Emptive Kernel
    AUTHOR: Robert M. Love
    SUMMARY: Makes most parts of the kernel preemptive to reduce latency.
    PATCHES-STABLE: 2.4.16, 2.4.17 <- only list patches yielding working releases
    PATCHES-STABLE-PRE: 2.4.18-pre1
    PATCHES-DEVEL: 2.5.1
    PATCHES-DEVEL-PRE: 2.5.2-pre1
    REQUISITES: -
    CONFLICTS: O(1) scheduler

    Resembles MAINTAINERS? Rightly so, just more detail given.

    That way, we would not need to have so many distinct trees, but this
    could easily grow into a patch repository where people could pull their
    patches from. I presume that conflicts between patches meant for
    inclusion will be worked out; maybe this list should announce
    sub-versions of the patches, like Willy mentioned:

    PATCH: ReiserFS for ext3-enabled kernels
    AUTHOR: Hans Reiser et al.; Matthias Andree et al. (ext3 compatibility)
    PATCHES-STABLE: 2.2.19
    PATCHES-STABLE-PRE: -
    PATCHES-DEVEL: -
    PATCHES-DEVEL-PRE: -
    REQUISITES: -
    CONFLICTS: -

    You get the idea. Comments?

    --
    Matthias Andree

    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin