    SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
    Date
    Followup to:  <20020102174824.A21408@thyrsus.com>
    By author: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > But a setuid program *will not solve my problem*.
    >
    > The person running the autoconfigurator is not and should not be doing so
    > as root. Requiring the person to stop and sun sudo just so the
    > autoconfigurator can proceed is exactly the sort of pointless
    > obstacle we should *not* be putting in front of users!

    Could you please look up what a setuid program *IS*?

    [Hint: a normal user can run them, and they get temporarily elevated
    privilege for the duration of that process only.]

    -hpa
    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>