    SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: "Eric S. Raymond" <>
    In newsgroup:
    > But a setuid program *will not solve my problem*.
    > The person running the autoconfigurator is not and should not be doing so
    > as root. Requiring the person to stop and sun sudo just so the
    > autoconfigurator can proceed is exactly the sort of pointless
    > obstacle we should *not* be putting in front of users!

    Could you please look up what a setuid program *IS*?

    [Hint: a normal user can run them, and they get temporarily elevated
    privilege for the duration of that process only.]

    <> at work, <> in private!
    "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.065 / U:10.360 seconds]