SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
Followup to:  <>
By author: "Eric S. Raymond" <>
In newsgroup:
> But a setuid program *will not solve my problem*.
> The person running the autoconfigurator is not and should not be doing so
> as root. Requiring the person to stop and sun sudo just so the
> autoconfigurator can proceed is exactly the sort of pointless
> obstacle we should *not* be putting in front of users!

Could you please look up what a setuid program *IS*?

[Hint: a normal user can run them, and they get temporarily elevated
privilege for the duration of that process only.]

<> at work, <> in private!
"Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>