    SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
    Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
    > Dave Jones <davej@suse.de>:
    > > Indeed. Something I'm trying to convey to Eric, but I don't think
    > > he realises just how many pooched BIOSen there are out there.
    > > His conservative estimate of '150 entries in the blacklist'
    > > is possibly off by an order of 10 times or more.
    >
    > Are there even 1500 distinct PC motherboard designs in *existence*? :-)

    There are tens of thousands of distinct PC motherboard designs in existence.
    I've personally worked on more than a thousand of them over the years. The
    big issue is that even with a single distinct design (say a reference design
    used by multiple manufacturers), there will be multiple differently-buggy
    BIOSen for that board before you even consider the different versions a single
    manufacturer will crank out over time.

    The motherboard market is a lot less diverse today than it was at its peak --
    say late-486 through mid-Pentium (94-97 perhaps). At one point, there were a
    dozen major brands of core logic, and hundreds of motherboard manufacturers.

    Of course, DMI doesn't come into much of the older ones.

    Charles