    SubjectShort question about the mmap method
    Hi lkml readers,

    I have a question regarding drivers implementing the mmap and nopage methods. In some references
    I've read that pages in kernel allocated memory (either allocated with kmalloc, vmalloc or
    __get_free_pages) should be set to reserved (mem_map_reserve or set_bit(PG_reserved, page->flags)
    before they can be mmap'ed to guarantee that they can't be swapped out. Is this true ?

    The reason I ask is that I have a test driver that allocates some pages with vmalloc(), reserves
    them with mem_map_reserve(), and uses the "nopage" method to give a userspace app access to them.
    When the userpace app accesses the page, the "nopage" function is invoked as expected and the
    page->count is incremented (by the nopage function). When this application exits the page->count
    should have been decremented by the kernel, but it seems like it doesn't since the page is reserved
    and this causes a giant memleak when the driver is unloaded since the pages are not put back to the
    free list unless page->count is zero (I do mem_map_unreserve before vfree). If I avoid using
    mem_map_reserve (and _unreserve) the page count is 1 at the time I unload the driver and everything
    goes fine.

    The kernel I'm using is RedHat 7.2 2.4.9-12

    One more question:

    When getting the "struct page" for pages allocated with vmalloc() I use the same method as
    drivers/media/video/bttv-driver.c (checking the page table). Somewhere (I think Rubini) I read that
    the init_mm.page_table_lock should be held before checking the page table. Is this true, or can it
    safely be done without doing that (the bttv-driver.c doesn't) ?

    Any ideas & comments are appreciated.

    Steffen Persvold | Scalable Linux Systems | Try out the world's best | | performing MPI implementation:
    Tel: (+47) 2262 8950 | Olaf Helsets vei 6 | - ScaMPI 1.12.2 -
    Fax: (+47) 2262 8951 | N0621 Oslo, NORWAY | >300MBytes/s and <4uS latency

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.021 / U:1.580 seconds]