SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
Dave Jones <>:
> Indeed. Something I'm trying to convey to Eric, but I don't think
> he realises just how many pooched BIOSen there are out there.
> His conservative estimate of '150 entries in the blacklist'
> is possibly off by an order of 10 times or more.

Are there even 1500 distinct PC motherboard designs in *existence*? :-)

Think, Dave. The DMI standard dates from 1998. For there to be 1500
entries on the blacklist, someone would have to have been cranking out
*500* PCI-capable, DMI-supporting motherboard designs a year each and
every one of which lies about having ISA slots.

This seems...implausible.

It would be thought a hard government that should tax its people one tenth
part. -- Benjamin Franklin