    SubjectRe: kernel log messages using wrong timezone
    On Jan 04, 2002  15:14 -0500, Chris Friesen wrote:
    > How does the kernel figure out how to timestamp the log output?
    > The reason I'm asking is that we have a system that has /etc/localtime
    > pointing to the Americas/Montreal timezone, but the log output from the
    > kernel appears to be UTC.

    The kernel doesn't timestamp the logs, AFAIK. That is done by syslog when
    it writes the logs to disk. If you check "dmesg" output - no timestamps.

    > Can anyone point me to the right place to deal with this?

    Restart syslog so that it notices the new timezone, or something else, I
    don't know. IIRC, you are the one doing strange things with syslog.
    Are you doing network syslog logging now? Are both of your hosts running
    with the same timezone?

    Cheers, Andreas
    --
    Andreas Dilger