SubjectRe: kernel log messages using wrong timezone
On Jan 04, 2002  15:14 -0500, Chris Friesen wrote:
> How does the kernel figure out how to timestamp the log output?
> The reason I'm asking is that we have a system that has /etc/localtime
> pointing to the Americas/Montreal timezone, but the log output from the
> kernel appears to be UTC.

The kernel doesn't timestamp the logs, AFAIK. That is done by syslog when
it writes the logs to disk. If you check "dmesg" output - no timestamps.

> Can anyone point me to the right place to deal with this?

Restart syslog so that it notices the new timezone, or something else, I
don't know. IIRC, you are the one doing strange things with syslog.
Are you doing network syslog logging now? Are both of your hosts running
with the same timezone?

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger