SubjectRe: Two hdds on one channel - why so slow?
---------  Received message begins Here  ---------
> In article <> you wrote:
> > In my experience, SCSI is not cost effective for systems with a single disk.
> > As soon as you go to 4 or more disks, the throughput of SCSI takes over unless
> > you are expanding a pre-existing workstation configuration.
> IDE Scales fine to 8 Channels (aka 8 Drives). Anything more than 8 Drives on
> an HBA is insane anyway.
> I love the FC-to-IDE(8) Solution. You get Hardware Raid with 8 Channels, each
> drive a didicated channel, thats much more reliable than usual 2 or 3 channel
> SCSI Configurations.
> Do you realy run more than say 10 hard disk devices on a single SCSI Bus,
> ever?

Only place I've seen that (not sure it was true SCSI though) was on a
Cray file server - each target (4) was itself a raid 5, with 5 transports.
That would be total of 20 disks. The four targets were striped together in
software to form a single filesystem. I think that was our first over 300GB
filesystem (several years ago). Now we are using 1 TB to 5TB filesystems
with nearly 5 million files each.

Jesse I Pollard, II