    SubjectRe: Two hdds on one channel - why so slow?
    ---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

    > In article <200201041402.IAA80257@tomcat.admin.navo.hpc.mil> you wrote:
    > > In my experience, SCSI is not cost effective for systems with a single disk.
    > > As soon as you go to 4 or more disks, the throughput of SCSI takes over unless
    > > you are expanding a pre-existing workstation configuration.
    >
    > IDE Scales fine to 8 Channels (aka 8 Drives). Anything more than 8 Drives on
    > an HBA is insane anyway.
    >
    > I love the FC-to-IDE(8) Solution. You get Hardware Raid with 8 Channels, each
    > drive a didicated channel, thats much more reliable than usual 2 or 3 channel
    > SCSI Configurations.
    >
    > Do you realy run more than say 10 hard disk devices on a single SCSI Bus,
    > ever?

    Only place I've seen that (not sure it was true SCSI though) was on a
    Cray file server - each target (4) was itself a raid 5, with 5 transports.
    That would be total of 20 disks. The four targets were striped together in
    software to form a single filesystem. I think that was our first over 300GB
    filesystem (several years ago). Now we are using 1 TB to 5TB filesystems
    with nearly 5 million files each.