SubjectRe: Console driver behaviour?

> > > any way to catch the situation? I've thought that open should
> > > return ENODEV in these cases, but it doesn't..
> >
> > screen, perhaps? this is most definitely not a linux-kernel question.
>
> This is most probably a console driver question, which is
> kernel-specific ;)
> I wonder what should console driver say when it doesn't have a real physical
> console behind it. IMO, this should be a ENODEV case, or some other way
> to determine programmatically that this situation takes place.

That should not happen. Especially since int init/main.c we have:

if (open("/dev/console", O_RDWR, 0) < 0)
printk("Warning: unable to open an initial console.\n");

(void) dup(0);
(void) dup(0);

which causes alot of problems.

> So, I am trying to find someone familar with console driver on
> linux-kernel (since this driver doesn't have a specific maintainer).

That would be me :-/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:17    [W:0.053 / U:0.116 seconds]