    SubjectMachines misreporting Bogomips
    kernel folk,

    I've got a strange issue that I've been struggling to find the solution to
    for some time now.

    I work in a group that assists in the managing of large numbers of
    deployed linux boxes running variants of the 2.2 kernel on them. The
    machines themselves are all pretty standard. There are slight variances
    on vendors, cpu speeds, etc., but they're all running from the same
    motherboards.

    Every once in a while we come across single machines which are running a
    lot slower than they should be, and are misreporting their speed in
    bogomips under /proc/cpuinfo. Reinstalling the OS and changing versions
    of the kernel don't appear to affect the machines themselves at all.

    I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me with a starting
    point to hunt this down. The only solution we had found in the past was
    to replace the machines, but some of them are located out of the country
    and that would be expensive.

    Here is the output from /proc/cpuinfo for machines. The first machine is
    normal, the second is affected by this bug. They're both running the same
    hardware, although the first machine's CPU is 650mhz instead of 500mhz.

    Machine 1:
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 8
    model name : Pentium III (Coppermine)
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 645.676332
    cache size : 0 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    sep_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 3
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
    cmov pat pse36 psn mmx osfxsr kni
    bogomips : 643.89

    Machine 2:
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 7
    model name : Pentium III (Katmai)
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 496.677416
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    sep_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
    cmov pat pse36 mmx osfxsr kni
    bogomips : 4.06

    Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help with the
    diagnosis. The machine itself is an IBM Netfinity 4000R.

    --
    Gregory Boyce