    SubjectRe: [RFC] x86 ELF bootable kernels/Linux booting Linux/LinuxBIOS
    "H. Peter Anvin" <> writes:

    > Followup to: <>
    > By author: (Eric W. Biederman)
    > In newsgroup:
    > >
    > > - Code at that entry point to query from the firmware/BIOS the
    > > information the kernel needs.
    > >
    > How do you query from the 16-bit firmware/BIOS at the 32-bit
    > entrypoint? Or is it that you have a table, fixed by protocol, of
    > what information is available (so we're basically fucked when
    > something needs to change)?

    I drop back into real mode. Run the existing query code, (I had to factor
    setup.S but the queries are 100% the same) and then I climb back to
    32bit mode. But I do it from setup_arch() so if I don't have a
    pcbios, I can skip all that nasty busyness.

    I did it the wrong way (fixed table) initially and after some
    conversations with you and some thinking I changed it around.

    There is nothing outside the ELF specification that needs to be used.
    All I depend on is having flat 32bit code and data segments, initially
    loaded in %cs and %ds. So basically anyones x86 ELF bootloader should

    I have defined a fully optional table of tagged elements, so the
    bootloader can tell me what kind of firmware I have. All it passes
    besides that is the bootloader name and the bootloader version. So
    you must do the bios queries yourself.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:16    [W:0.040 / U:57.224 seconds]