    On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:11:34AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:07:07AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:

    > > Then how do we do this in the bk trees period? To give a concrete
    > > example, I want to move arch/ppc/platforms/prpmc750_setup.c from
    > > 2_4_devel into 2_4, without loosing history. How? And just this file
    > > and not all of _devel.
    >
    > That question doesn't parse. There are multiple ways you can do it but
    > once you do patches will no longer import cleanly from Linus. The whole
    > point of the pristine tree is to give yourself a tree into which you can
    > import Linus patches. If you start putting extra stuff in there you will
    > get patch rejects.

    Er, not the pristine tree, the linuxppc_2_4 tree, sorry. I'll try
    again. One of the problems we hit frequently is that we have to move
    files from linuxppc_2_4_devel into linuxppc_2_4, once they prove stable.
    But just creating a normal patch, or cp'ing the files means when we pull
    linuxppc_2_4 back into linuxppc_2_4_devel we get a file conflict, and
    have to move one of the files (the previously existing one) into the
    deleted dir. How do we cleanly move just a few files from a child tree
    into the parent? I think this is a lot like what would happen, if Linus
    used BK and we wanted to send him support for some platforms, but not
    all of the other changes we have.

    --
    Tom Rini (TR1265)
    http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/