On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 08:11:34AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 09:07:07AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:

> > Then how do we do this in the bk trees period? To give a concrete
> > example, I want to move arch/ppc/platforms/prpmc750_setup.c from
> > 2_4_devel into 2_4, without loosing history. How? And just this file
> > and not all of _devel.
> That question doesn't parse. There are multiple ways you can do it but
> once you do patches will no longer import cleanly from Linus. The whole
> point of the pristine tree is to give yourself a tree into which you can
> import Linus patches. If you start putting extra stuff in there you will
> get patch rejects.

Er, not the pristine tree, the linuxppc_2_4 tree, sorry. I'll try
again. One of the problems we hit frequently is that we have to move
files from linuxppc_2_4_devel into linuxppc_2_4, once they prove stable.
But just creating a normal patch, or cp'ing the files means when we pull
linuxppc_2_4 back into linuxppc_2_4_devel we get a file conflict, and
have to move one of the files (the previously existing one) into the
deleted dir. How do we cleanly move just a few files from a child tree
into the parent? I think this is a lot like what would happen, if Linus
used BK and we wanted to send him support for some platforms, but not
all of the other changes we have.

Tom Rini (TR1265)