    SubjectRe: CML2 funkiness
    I found it!
    The culprit: a bit of confusion over 'private'.
    All of the not-saved symbols were just guards for 'do we
    want to display question X'... so they were marked
    private, so as not to clutter up the kernel (I assume).
    However, this prevents them from getting written to
    .config/config.out as well! Easy fix is to un-private
    them, long-term is (as I see it) either to create a new
    equivalent to private that somehow lets the symbol get
    written to defconfig, but prevents it from becoming a
    kernel define, or just to blow it off and don't worry
    about it, and leave them normal symbols. However, it's
    1:30AM and I might be missing something.