    SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?

    > Let's face the bare fact : Linux life could be *way* more comfortable...
    > This stupid Win2k or even *brrr* XP ^H^H^H detects all the hardware
    > fine when installing. Even ISA. So should Linux.

    I don't believe that Win2k does it (it's not from the PnP family, is it?).
    But, I don't doubt that XP does it on contemporary hardware. It requires
    ACPI support in the BIOS. And, ACPI enumerates all of the legacy devices
    in the system.

    So, we're still relying on the firmware to tell us what's there. One of
    the points of this thread, and many others, is that you can't rely on it.
    Every BIOS is buggy.

    Personally, I like the idea of dumping the firmware tables (DMI, ACPI,
    etc) during early init, then letting a userspace program telling the
    kernel what is there based on what the firmware says. If we know a
    particular table in a particular BIOS is bad, we can ignore it or work
    around it.

    The auto-config tool can use either what the kernel knows (as exported to
    userland), or it can use some parsing tool to parse the tables (with the
    same intelligence to know which tables are borked).

    And, don't forget that most Windows OSes punt on some hardware. That's why
    there's the nice "Add New Hardware" wizard...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.021 / U:9.336 seconds]