    SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
    Dave Jones <> said:
    > On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Horst von Brand wrote:
    > > I'd wagger Aunt Tillie doesn't run Linux on Ye Olde Coffepot, but on a new,
    > > PCI-only machine. So this is doubly silly...
    > *your* Aunt Tillie perhaps. I know several folks whose parents have
    > now inherited their offsprings old computers, and are now using Linux
    > on them to read their mail, write a book, whatever..
    > And these cast offs are not fantastic machines, they're 486/586 class.

    If I give the old coffepot to Aunt Tillie with Linux, I'll take some care
    of the updates and such for her later. And for sanity's sake I'll stick to
    distribution-build kernels if at all possible in any case.

    > Fleeting judgements like yours above are just plain wrong.

    Right. But for Aunt Tillie who has to do the managing of the machine by
    herself, she'll either go to a distribution and won't fool around with
    compiling 2.4.18preX for the sake of it, or is at least mildly interested
    in kernel development and doesn't need handholding. Why an average
    (non-hacker) Aunt Tillie won't be satisfied with e.g. Red Hat or Madrake or
    whatever kernel or an update is just way beyond me. Source-build kernels
    are strictly "check out this new feature" or "see if it breaks", or perhaps
    "need a custom configuration for this piece of junk from the scrapheap" not
    for day-to-day use by unwashed masses.
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.033 / U:2.940 seconds]