    On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

    > The big stuff is not the problem most times. [...]

    oh, i agree, but still the big stuff is that gets quoted in most emails
    that try to invent the next big patch submission method ...

    > People collecting up patches _does_ help big time for all the small
    > fixes.

    yes. This started with you and multiple people do it currently.

    > Especially ones disciplined enough to keep the originals they applied
    > so they can feed stuff on with that tag. If I sent Linus on a patch
    > that said "You've missed this fix by Andrew Morton" then Linus knew it
    > was probably right for example.

    yes. This is what maintainers do. You, when collecting patches for the -ac
    tree, are in essence a trusted jolly joker maintainer, very disciplined to
    filter the trivial stuff from the nontrivial stuff.

    > Start small and your obvious one line diff, or 3 line typo fix will be
    > ignored for a decade. There were critical fixes that Linus dropped
    > repeatedly between 2.4.2 and 2.4.16 or so which ended up being holes
    > in every non-ac based distro.

    (while i still do not claim that things are perfect, i'd like to see
    specific examples nevertheless.)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.024 / U:119.604 seconds]