    On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Daniel Phillips wrote:

    > [...] Consider my patch to fix group descriptor corruption in Ext2,
    > submitted half a dozen times to Linus and other maintainers over the
    > course of two years, which was clearly explained, passed scrutiny on
    > ext2-devel and lkml, fixed a real problem that really bit people and
    > which I'd been running myself over the entire period. Which one of
    > cleanliness, concept, timing or testing did I violate?
    >
    > If the answer is 'none of the above', then what is wrong with this
    > picture?

    am i correct that you are referring to this patch?:

    http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0011.3/0861.html

    was this the first iteration of your patch? Your mail is a little more
    than 1 year old. You rated the patch as: 'The fix below is kind of
    gross.'. Clearly, this does not help getting patches applied.

    the ext2 bh-handling code had cleanliness issues before. I had ext2
    patches rejected by Linus because they kept the method of passing around
    double-pointers, and i have to agree that the code was far from clean. Al
    did lots of cleanups in this area, and i think he fixed this issue as
    well, didnt he? So where is the problem exactly, does 2.4 still have this
    bug?

    in terms of 2.2 and 2.0, you should contact the respective maintainers.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.035 / U:30.708 seconds]