On January 30, 2002 02:18 am, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 12:00:11PM +1100, Stuart Young wrote:
> > Perhaps it's time we set up a specific lkml-patch mailing list, and leave
>
> I like the suggestion (most recently, of Daniel? pardon if I
> miscredit) of having patches-2.[45]@vger.kernel.org type addresses,
> which would archive patches, and have a high noise-to-signal ratio.
> Maybe even filter out all non-patches.
>
> The big issue I cannot decide upon is whether standard e-mails should be
> To: torvalds@
> CC: patches-2.4@
> or just
> To: patches-2.4@
>
> (I'm guessing Linus would prefer the first, but who knows)

I'd say: cc Linus specifically if you think it's something he'd find
personally interesting. Leave out the cc if it's a minor bugfix or
maintainance.

Oh, as somebody suggested in this thread, there is a difference in priority
between bugfixes and other kinds of patches. Should buxfixes go to
patches-xxx@kernel.org with [BUGFIX] in the subject, or would
bugs-xxx@kernel.org be a better idea?

> Also, something noone has mentioned is out-of-band patches. Security fixes
> and other patches which for various reasons go straight to Linus.

Out-of-band patches are not going to stop. The difference is, they will be
duly noticed after the fact because they should be relatively few in
comparison to in-band patches.

Another kind of out-of-band patch is where Linus takes the basic idea from
somebody's patch and completely rewrites it, or does some hacking on his own,
which he's been known to do. Somehow I wouldn't expect he'd bother emailing
the results to himself.

--
Daniel