    SubjectRe: RFC: booleans and the kernel
    Gábor Lénárt wrote:
    > Khmmm please enlighten me ...
    > > if (X == true && ptr && *ptr > 1)
    > Why? Simply use for example type 'char' as boolean value. Let's say
    > 0 means false and other value is true.
    > So:
    > if (x) printf("true");
    > or
    > if (!x) printf("false");
    > Why do you want to overcomplicate?

    If the variable holds a boolean in the C language, fair enough but if
    it's being used as a range in a truth-value system of _another_
    language, i.e. it simply _represents_ a truth value, I would write it

    If it were a theorem proving paper, the different kinds of variable
    would have a different font or colour :-)

    > x=a>b;
    > if (x) printf("A is greater than B");
    > ONE thing which is best in C is the less strictly type rules eg you
    > can use 'char' to store eg c='A' or c=2.

    You seem to have missed the point. We _know_ the C language rules. I
    agree that non-strict typeing is quite useful, although C is in fact
    quite strict. Lisp has far less strict typing :-)

    > Hey guys, C was designed to write an OS it's not something other ...

    Perhaps, but it's pretty useful for something other.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.023 / U:43.724 seconds]