SubjectRe: RFC: booleans and the kernel
Timothy Covell wrote:
> You know, I used to wonder why more people didn't like/use Linux. Now,
> after a month or so of reading this website and meeting so many arrogant
> assholes, now I know why.

Hey Tim, you wrote a buggy code example that illustrated the wrong
problem, and someone thought you actually meant to indicate that
problem. Easy mistakes, but you made the first one.

What you call arrogance is simply folk getting to the heart of a
problem, as straightforwardly as feasible. In this case unfortunately
the wrong one. I didn't find the other person's words rude at all, but
you did. Ah, the joy of being different people.

It seems to work for the folk who stay. If we were all nice and polite,
I daresay many of the engineering-minded folk would get bored and find
somewhere else to insult each other and discuss interesting stuff.

Robust attitude seems to be a requisite for a certain type of
engineering -- it's not pointless: it enables us to ask difficult
questions directly instead of being afraid to.

It's a culture thing, and a working method, is all, and is rarely
intended offensively.

bye,
-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.417 / U:0.932 seconds]