    SubjectRe: kernel newbie -- Compact Flash booting
    On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:52:37PM -0800, Ramya Ravichandran wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am a newbie to Linux.I have to develop an
    > embedded linux controller that boots from the Compact
    > flash card instead of the HD and work from RAM. I have
    > to have a bare minimum implementation of Linux kernel
    > to do this.
    > I don't know where to start. Shud I start by writing
    > the driver for the CF card? What background knowledge
    > shud I have for implementing the kernel?

    The compact flashes appear to PCMCIA as removable IDE drives.
    Unless the PCMCIA-CF adapter is more than just two connectors
    plus a set of wires in between, you should have no problems
    at all. Either IDE, or IDE_CS driver should do it.
    (The IDE_CS will, of course, need the PCMCIA suite too to
    support removable media. IDE doesn't support removability.)

    To boot from CF you need support in your boot-rom/flash
    code. Something which might not be true, unless you write
    it yourself..

    > Please Help.Thanks

    /Matti Aarnio

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.020 / U:36.124 seconds]