    SubjectRe: RFC: booleans and the kernel (Timothy Covell)  wrote on 26.01.02 in <>:

    > On Friday 25 January 2002 00:36, Kai Henningsen wrote:

    > > We're talking about a specific language feature, and that feature isn't
    > > what you seem to be thinking it is. It does not change anything you can do
    > > with ints.
    > I know, I was talking about typographical errors such as:
    > int x=0;
    > if ( x = 1 )
    > or
    > char x;
    > if ( x )
    > which did not product the desired results. My thought was to encourage the
    > use of booleans instead of ints in these kinds of conditionals. I thought

    And if you changed the int and/or the char into bool, this would
    accomplish exactly nothing. A compiler can warn about assignments in
    conditions or uninitialized variables, and gcc does it already (and has
    done so since a long time); why you think this has anything to do with
    bool seems to be completely unclear to everyone but you.

    > admits that there are benefits too. But, I think it amazing that I'm being
    > told that I'm an idiot when even the language's author agrees with me
    > on my concerns about C.

    Of course, that is again not what is happening. You either *weren't*
    talking about Richie's concerns, or else you were making an excellent
    effort of keeping that fact secret from the rest of us.

    What you *were* saying is that you think bool would help get warnings that
    you *already* get and that bool has absolutely no relevance to. I didn't
    exactly call you an idiot for that, but that is certainly the impression
    you left.

    MfG Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.025 / U:47.400 seconds]