Subjectkernel newbie

I am a newbie to Linux.I have to develop an
embedded linux controller that boots from the Compact
flash card instead of the HD and work from RAM. I have
to have a bare minimum implementation of Linux kernel
to do this.
I don't know where to start. Shud I start by writing
the driver for the CF card? What background knowledge
shud I have for implementing the kernel?

Please Help.Thanks

Do You Yahoo!?