    SubjectRe: kernel newbie -- Compact Flash booting
    Date
    What if the CF connects to the IDE bus with an adapter?  Whould the IDE-CS
    still work or do you mean the IDE chipset itself doesn't support hot swapping
    or removable drives? Also what kind of support is there for USB CF
    read/writers?

    GO

    On Friday 25 January 2002 02:37, Matti Aarnio wrote:
    > On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 10:52:37PM -0800, Ramya Ravichandran wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am a newbie to Linux.I have to develop an
    > > embedded linux controller that boots from the Compact
    > > flash card instead of the HD and work from RAM. I have
    > > to have a bare minimum implementation of Linux kernel
    > > to do this.
    > > I don't know where to start. Shud I start by writing
    > > the driver for the CF card? What background knowledge
    > > shud I have for implementing the kernel?
    >
    > The compact flashes appear to PCMCIA as removable IDE drives.
    > Unless the PCMCIA-CF adapter is more than just two connectors
    > plus a set of wires in between, you should have no problems
    > at all. Either IDE, or IDE_CS driver should do it.
    > (The IDE_CS will, of course, need the PCMCIA suite too to
    > support removable media. IDE doesn't support removability.)
    >
    > To boot from CF you need support in your boot-rom/flash
    > code. Something which might not be true, unless you write
    > it yourself..
    >
    > > Please Help.Thanks
    >
    > /Matti Aarnio
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.025 / U:0.200 seconds]